Saturday, February 05, 2005

Its Saturday... but it seems like any other day.

Started work as usual at 9am. Took a cab n i reached just in time (heh...)

Initially.. i wasn't in the mood to work.. looking at all those recordings that need to be done, the MUIS Financial Assistance applications with endless requirements and those letters just waiting for me to write and post to the funders... I just have no mood.

The morning was spent analysing what had happened yesterday. Everyone was frustrated. I wish i could share and document the black history in the blog... but i dun think its right.. *sigh*

I can still document what i've learnt tho'... here goes:

Lesson #1: BE ETHICAL!! Especially when dealing with external organisation.

Lesson #2: BE HUMBLE!! It can get you to places

Lesson #3: If you're assigned to do something... do it! Dont kepo on other people's tasks. If u haf to kepo, just give feedback or suggestion. Dont act on it coz its not your responsibility.

Lesson #4: Be wary when dealing with certain organisation (especially *******)

Lesson #5: If you have bad working relationship with someone, just be careful the next time.

Enuff said.

Because of the morning dysfunctionality, i stayed back till 5.30 to finish my work. ALONE. I enjoyed the environment then... so quiet... scary sometimes... i blasted my Taufik and Blue to fill the silence. I managed to send one MUIS F.A, read the whole course on smoking cessation, organise my IN-Tray AND plan for volunteers' programme. Talk about productivity! I'm satisfied! =D

One thing significant made my day; my msn conversation with Zhul the lawyer. His nick was 'Pakcik Goh?', and i know where that comes from. It's on today's paper, Prof Yaacob named XPM Goh is like our Pakcik, while the current PM is our something.. (cant remember). I catch no ball leyyy!!! Tak paham!! Why is he the Malay's pakcik??? HUH?!?!?!?!

So, we talked about it for a while.. he shared bout MUIS's coming up with the 10 commandments... err... i mean... 10 characteristics of Singaporean Muslim (talk about a doctrine!) n how superficial it is. I kinda disagree with him. I think some of the muslims need that kind of detailed guidance and direction. It helps to explain to pple from other races and religion as well when talking about Muslims in Singapore. Zhul partially agreed, but he also think that that is not a priority. That, i couldnt disagree with him.

And so we moved on talking about the community.. and how to wake up their idea. I'm especially touched to know that my once-upon-a-time fellow undergrad is planning to volunteer some of his time and expertise to the community. I feel i'm not alone in this journey. I feel comforted. Then, i remember what a lecturer once told me.... in da'wah journey, its normal to feel lonely. However, one is NEVER alone. In some point of the road, you'll meet someone who has the same destination in mind. And you'll walk together. And the group will get bigger... insyaAllah... if no one gives up, and decided to settle down in the middle of the road... not aspiring to get to the destination... (deep seyyy malam-malam gini!)

Like a quote i extracted from NVPC magazine:

"[The perception of volunteerism] should be expanded to activism - feeling that you have a stack in your neighbourhood, your school, your home... so then, how do you establish that stake?" - Suzaina Abdul Kadir, Co-Chairman, North East Youth Parliament.

I wish more people will be activist.. walking towards the same destination. Feeling a bit lonely now...

humaira... lonely but never alone




No comments: