Saturday, April 22, 2006

The dissonance continues

Am gearing up to inaurgurally start typing my essay. Sheesh! I'm still in a daze on what topic to study on.

For those kind souls who may be worrying about my studies (i thank you for doing that job for me *smilez*), i believe you deserve to know how well, or badly, i've done. Here goes.

I'm in the 18th week of my first semester, and i still have yet to memorise my module code. Hence my decision to give up memorising, as the more important thing is to remember what subjects i'm learning. Hence, my achievement this 18th week --> recalling my module titles =D

History 1010 - Understanding the seerah from the journey of Prophet Muhammad to the reignship of Umaiyah.

Re-Learning seerah has been refreshing, as i forgot most of it. So the class, despite being boring, i benefitted by recalling the past facts memorised or cramped somewhere in my brain system for the purpose of the examinations in Alsagoff eons ago.

Thus far, i've submitted 2 assignments, and i still have one long overdued topic still sitting quietly in my lappie. I have to write about the legitimacy of khulafa' rasyidin. I'm still clueless as how do i measure legitimacy. According to who? the ahli sunnah? the muslim community 1000 years ago???? (go figure why the document is still incomplete in my lappie)

Fiqh Seerah - Understanding the seerah of Rasulullah specifically and understanding its significance and relevance to the current context.

This is the most active module with tests in the middle of every session. If you define success as being the bottomline number, here's the list of the 'bottomline' numbers:

Test 1: 8.5 / 10
Test 2: 7.5 / 10
(screwed up as i mis-interpreted the question. Boohoo)
Test 3: 9 /10
Test 4: 9.5 / 10
Test 5: unknown (hoping to get 10 though)

I have a 10-page assignment to hand in, which of course, have yet started.
Am planning to write about the history of Jahiliyah - its roots and continuity in contemporary society. Again... pray for me

Revelation as the Source of Knowledge - Understanding the Qur'an as THE source of knowledge (kinda self explanatory isnt it? but its the hardest, i tell u)


Arrrgghhh!! I NEED to hand in this 10-page essay tonite, if possible. Hence causing a 'still-not-focused anxiety' which lead to MORE anxiety!

I'm inspired to write about knowledge and how the knowledge revolution in our contemporary society has become increasingly value-less, and the implications it has on us as an ummah (that's a mouthful. U can sense my non-focused-ness from that paragraph). So, since i'm supposed to present about Kohlberg theory on Moral development in Children's development at work (Yeah.. our casework discussion meetings have been actively re-activated), might as well i do a comparative study on Kohlberg and what the revelation has taught us (in the spirit of killing birdss (and trees) with one essay).

So... i promise i'll start reading bout kohlberg and Naquib Al-Attas once i'm done updating bout my 'life' (oh gawwwd).

Islamic Worldview - Understanding the Islamic worldview vis-a-vis other worldviews (my fav so far)

This module was my muse! I luv it! Apart from that, i've officially completed my assignments (Hurraaahhhh!!!);

I've done a book review presentation on Sachiko Murata and William C. Chittick's The Vision of Islam (interesting analysing how non-Muslims view Islam and how surprisingly accurate and extensive their research and findings are)

My group has completed our in-depth study on Globalisation and Glocalisation, and Islam's position in this world. Although i'm not so satisfied with my effort in this thesis, at least i've completed it. Less worries.

Oh yeah.. we had a mid-term on the topic: "Islam between Liberalism and Extermism. Discuss in the light of dalil 'aql and naql".
The lecturer was kind enuff to award me 8.5 /10 (alhamdulillah)

-------------------------

That's it!

Exams coming up next week.

Cant wait for it.

Cant wait to end it.

If i may comment on my 'process' of learning this first semester, it has been a FLASH adjustment. Am not truly enjoying it yet coz i didnt put in as much effort and passion as i expected myself to, but, insyaAllah, am getting the hang of it. (I really need to hand in those over-dued assignments)

And oh yeah...

I was selected to be one of the Student Council members.

Innalillaahi wa innaa ilaihi raajiuun.


Humaira
Now now.. its time to get to know that 2 old men

No comments: