Saturday, September 02, 2006

Life's Uniform

"The skirt you're wearing looks like a wedding gown. Are we gonna get invitation card anytime soon?", my coursemate said.

How interesting. My attire determines my readiness for marriage? Asked my heart.

"Oh~ Err.. i woke up feeling i wanna wear something happy and pretty to perk the day. Marriage? Pray for me ya kak? InsyaAllah the time will come with someone Allah redha", my mouth said and followed with a smile.

The $5 Oh La La skirt i bought at Jennyfer's closing down sale is a beautiful investment. It does have a wedding kind of feeling with that flowy A-cut and the material which shouts class and glamour. It will be perfect for wedding ceremonies (in fact, i should wear it for Faeza's wedding tomorrow)

But hey...

Living in a post-modern world, its an era of de-constructing almost ANYTHING which is relative.

Wearing a 'proper' attire for proper occasion is a social construct, or should i say, constructed by the colonials. One wears fanciful hat for horse racing party, one wears one's best in the presence of the royalties, one wears black for funerals and well.. so many other rules pertaining occasional uniforms.

And what do we do? We ADOPT this construct. We start these rules; One 'supposed' to wear white for funeral, 'supposed' to wear gold and the nicest clothes for wedding occasions, rent the expensive boutique clothes for your own wedding and etc etc. I'm guilty... sometimes. And i'm tired abiding the rules.

I wear what i wanna wear.

According to what i think deem practical... and of course according to Allah's permission.

Islam does not dictate what kind of clothes to wear... as long as it is clean and covers aurah.

"Ayesha (R) reported that Asmaa the daughter of Abu Bakr (R) came to the Messenger of Allah (S) while wearing thin clothing. He approached her and said: 'O Asmaa! When a girl reaches the menstrual age, it is not proper that anything should remain exposed except this and this. He pointed to the face and hands." (Abu Dawood)

So its ok if i wear nice skirts on an un-eventful day eh?

Please let me.

It makes the un-eventful pretty and glamourous.

Just like the skirt.

Now, what should i wear for Faeza's walimah?

Hmmmmm..... a $19 Yen skirt with a kebaya.

All hail Sale!!!

Humaira
I failed my Research Proposal Paper 4/10
I nearly failed my Research Methods mid-term 11/20
Not feeling on top of the world.
Am under the weather.
And yeah... i hope the clouds will move =)

"لإن شكرتم لأزيدنكم, لإن كفرتم إن عذابي لشديد"


No comments: